Normal and correct life cycle of any online project means a growth of it, which certainly entails required increase in the capacity of server and telecommunication equipment. When a website written “on a knee” is placed on a simple hosting, a so called shared-hosting, for the first time, it is rather comfortable for it there, dedicated processor capacity is sufficient for it together with RAM; hard disk is not yet filled with tons of information.
After some time, a project becomes more popular. Thus, load on hosting grows too. That is exactly the moment when it is time to “transplant a flower to a larger pot”. Surely, if there is rather a large amount of funds at your disposal, a separate, dedicated server can be rented immediately with some unbelievable parameters but we all perfectly know that start-up projects often lack funds even for salaries of employees and they work just for food.
It is for the situations when a project needs some independence both in terms of processor capacities, RAM, disk space and in terms of guaranteed bandwidth of the Internet channel – programs allowing to create several virtual servers on one large server, which have their dedicated capacities in case of correct setup, which no one will ever approach upon, were developed exactly for this purpose. Price for them is much lower than the one for a dedicated server. We are offering such VPS (Virtual Private Server) to our customers. Hypervisors built on a system of full virtualization of KVM allow creating virtual machines with a completely detachable resource, which cannot be temporarily or permanently used for the other, neighbouring, virtual machine. For the sake of saving space and capacities, negligent hosting providers use systems with incomplete virtualization built, for example, on XEN hypervisor.
Currently, there is a great number of hosting providers rendering VPS services and services vary from “for free” to several hundred US Dollars. However, in order to choose a true quality server, it is necessary to read several important parameters very carefully:
1) When selecting a tariff plan, it is necessary to pay attention, first of all, to the parameters of a server included in the tariff plan. Quantity and frequency of processes, RAM volumes and disk space. Please do not also forget to pay attention to the quantity of allowed traffic and channel bandwidth in order not to be surprised after that. In any case, my advice to you is to contact representatives of a company in advance and clarify missing parameters or unclear issues.
2) The first item is smoothly followed by the second one – when you contact an administrator, please pay attention to the qualification of a person, namely, whether such person gives qualified and clever answers to the questions addressed, whether such person is not rude and impudent. It is very important because in case you have any problems, you may be left alone with your problems. Personnel are very important.
3) Previous item was more a general recommendation. Let’s go back to VPS. Clarify what images of operating systems are provided for installation. As a rule, it is a couple of Linux distributions and probably Windows Server. If a great number of specific OS is provided for selection, for example, underestimated FreeBSD, it is a reason to pay close attention to such provider.
4) If you are not going to use a server from console or you just cannot do it, you will definitely need a control panel. As a rule, several control panels are also provided at your choice. They can be paid additionally or a cost of them can be included in a cost of a server.
5) Probably, a hard disk, namely, HDD or SSD, is the most important parameter for quick work of a website. SSD disks work much faster than HDD; therefore, provided equal parameters, choose the server built on SSD disks.
6) The last but no less important thing is the place of server location, country and data center. Clarify what communication channel is used by a provider, whether it is reserved and what its total bandwidth is. If provider’s servers are located at its own data center, do not feel shy to clarify whether there is UPS and air conditioner inside the premise and what is a policy of access to the premise. All these things guarantee reliability of a server which is never too much.
Finally, I would like to say that in any situation you should communicate with your provider even if you have any problems; it is unacceptable to be silent, angry and continue being silent. Building normal human relations means a guarantee of long-term and lasting cooperation. When your project grows, your hosting provider grows with you.
Good luck! We wish you a stable ping, good line and unlimited uptime!